WHICH MAGENTO VERSION IS BEST FOR YOU?
Magento Enterprise? Cloud? Community? Commerce? Open Source?
Over the years Magento have renamed their services again and again, with the question of costs, hosting, and out of the box functionality becoming a headache before even starting on your new website venture. While all versions are packaged with the core eCommerce features that make Magento the number one platform for selling online, it is important to weigh up the costs of each service with the value they can bring to your business. Here at magic42, we will help you decide which version is the right fit for you - read on for an overview of Magento's current offerings.
Formerly "Community Edition (CE)"
The standard version of Magento, Open Source has no up-front costs, no licensing fees, and still provides a massive amount of out of the box functionality. While it may not be as feature-rich as the enterprise level offerings, a large community of developers and enthusiasts has sprung up wanting to bridge that gap with a huge variety of extensions and modules.
Some of the main features of Magento Open Source include:
- Responsive Themes – for screens of all sizes
- Extensions – available from the Magento Marketplace
- Potential for Back-end Integrations
- Multi-site Setup from a single installation
- Persistent Shopping Cart
- Flexible Pricing and Discount Rules
- Layered Navigation
- Multiple Shipping Rules and Payment Methods
- Configurable and Bundle Products
- Up-sells, Cross-sells and Related Products
- Customer Accounts
- Order Management
Formerly "Enterprise Edition (EE)"
For businesses looking to partner with Magento, rather than simply using it, Commerce grants a wider variety of features and support than the free model. In exchange for an initial set up cost and an annual licensing fee (based on your company’s revenue), companies receive a dedicated account manager, around the clock support, and a platform geared towards giving customers a more personalised experience on their site.
As well as everything in the Open Source version, the key aspects of Magento Commerce are:
- Dedicated Magento Account Manager
- 24/7 Support
- Drag and Drop Visual Merchandiser
- Advanced Customer Segmentation and Targeting
- Private Sales and Events
- Loyalty Points
- Separate Databases for Products, Order Management, Checkout etc.
- B2B Functionality such as Order by SKU, Purchase with Credit, and Unique Customer Pricing
Formerly "Enterprise Cloud Edition"
Magento also offer Commerce via PaaS (Platform as a Service), providing an all in one package that includes the platform, support, as well as dedicated hosting using AWS. This version is recommended for large businesses with a number of back-end integrations or micro-services that will need to be managed in real-time.