Knowledge panels are a great way to help your customers find out more about your brand.
When searching for a particular company, person or place in Google, a knowledge panel is produced which helps surface key facts and information to help the customer answer their query.
If your brand is being mentioned online, this information is contributing to what Google calls their “Knowledge Graph”, which is the source of the information displayed in knowledge panels.
In this article, we are going to talk you through exactly what knowledge panels are, how you can claim yours and how it can positively impact your online business.
1. What is a knowledge panel?
Knowledge panels are information boxes that appear on Google when you search for entities within the knowledge graph.
Knowledge panels are information boxes that appear on Google when you search for a place, person, brand or other entities.
They help you get a quick snapshot of information on a topic based on Google’s understanding of available content on the web.
Knowledge panels can include:
- Brand or person’s name
- Details about the person or brand
- Contact information
- Useful resources
- Social media links
Claiming a knowledge panel for your brand is significant as it is often the first thing that a potential customer will notice when searching for a particular brand.
Knowledge panels provide useful information as well as give your brand name additional credibility. All of the information that is generated within a knowledge panel is pulled in from sources all over the internet.
The more mentions you have online, the more credible the information becomes and it can be a great trust builder for potential customers searching for your brand.
1.1. Why is claiming your knowledge panel important?
For online businesses, knowledge panels are a great way to provide additional insight and useful information to potential customers.
A knowledge panel can often be a person’s first interaction with a business or brand and it’s a great way to create trust and show that you are a genuine company offering real services.
1.2. What does it mean to claim a knowledge panel on Google?
When it comes to claiming a knowledge panel in Google, you are essentially receiving full control of the information it displays.
In order to claim a knowledge panel, you need to be able to prove that you are actively working for or as the entity in question.
There are a number of steps that you need to take in order to prove ownership and we will talk you through each of these below.
2. How to claim your knowledge panel
To verify that you’re an authorised representative for the entity, follow the steps below:
- Ensure that you have a Google Account. If you don’t, then create a Google Account.
- Go to Google Search.
- Search for yourself or the entity that you represent and find its knowledge panel which is located on the right-hand side of the search results page.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Claim this knowledge panel.
- You will then be redirected to a form where you need to prove your ownership of the entity. The checks are thorough to ensure you really are associated with that particular entity and Google requests a form of identification, which may for example include a passport.
- Sign in to one of the official sites listed below to verify that you’re an authorised representative of that entity on Google. The list of options include:
- Search Console
Once you have carried out the steps listed above, Google will process your request to manage the knowledge panel listing.
2.1. How long does it take Google to verify my knowledge panel?
Claiming a knowledge panel can take just a few minutes but in order to get verified, the process can take anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.
3. Looking for eCommerce SEO advice?
If you have any questions regarding knowledge panels, then we will be more than happy to help you. We have vast experience working with established eCommerce businesses and know what is needed to successfully verify ownership of a knowledge panel.
Speak to one of our eCommerce experts at magic42 today to find out how we can help you.